Safety is our first priority in all activities conducted by Manly LSC.
Safety in the Water
The Superintendent liaises with Manly Council Lifeguards and Patrol Captains each Sunday to assess water conditions and determine what activities can be safely carried out to ensure we are following the guidelines laid down by Surf Life Saving Australia. No race or activity will commence unless there are the correct number of qualified Water Safety wearing high-vis orange rash vests. If Water Safety numbers are not met then activities will be limited to waist deep water.
Water Safety Officers MUST be suitably qualified (Bronze or SRC), be Manly Club members and wear orange rash vests.
It is compulsory for any Nipper (U8 – U14) participating in water activities to wear a pink high-vis vest.
The IRB (Inflatable Rescue Boat) or ‘Rubber Duckie’ is available during all water events.
Any questions regarding Water Safety should be directed to your Age Manager who can liaise with the Superintendent.
Working with Children Checks (WWCC)
SLSNSW members who work/volunteer directly with children under the age of 18 must hold a valid WWCC, unless their role falls within one of the scheme’s defined exemptions. Manly coaches, Junior Activities Chairperson and Child Protection Officer all hold valid WWCC. Age Managers are exempt from needing a WWCC if they are the parent of a Nipper in that age group. Assistant Age Managers (or those who regularly assist within the age group) also need to be the parent of a Nipper in that age group to be exempt from needing a WWCC.
Any concerns on this matter, or regarding an individual, should be immediately addressed to the Child Protection Officer at the Club or in person.
Parents run Nippers so please volunteer and help out. The easiest place to help is with the BBQ but there are plenty of other opportunities which you can find out about under Volunteer. We have seen over the years that the more involved a parent is with the Club, the more their child embraces and enjoys their Nipper journey. Please remember that your child remains your responsibility at all times.
End of Season Awards
Each year, at the end of year Presentation, the participation and achievements of our Nippers (U8 and above) is celebrated. Awards are made to males and females in each age group for:
- Age Group Champions based on points accumulated through Club Championships, Branch and State.
- Club Champions (Gold, Silver, Bronze) for Water (Surf Swim and Board) and Beach (Flags and Sprint) based on Club Championship results (U8-U14)
- Life Saving Awards (Gold, Silver, Bronze) awarded to Nippers who represent the values of Surf Lifesaving – Sportsmanship, commitment, attitude to training and participation, surf education, teamwork and respect for fellow members, coaches and Age Managers (U8-U14). Club champion medallists are not eligible for a life saver award.
- Special Awards are also made, amongst others to:
- John O’Brien Trophy – U8 who has shone in all areas
- Tier Family Trophy for Surf Education
- Outstanding Team Performance award
- John Alagich Trophies for Junior and Senior Competitors of the year
- ANZ Shield for the most Outstanding Competitor of the year
- Annie Gleason Club Spirit Nipper Award
Further details of the point-score systems for the Age Champion and Club Champion Awards can be found in our Manly Nipper Competition Policies.
Nipper parent membership provides access to Club facilities and insurance when assisting in Nippers activities. Members can access the Club’s changing rooms and hot showers with a personal code. You are also entitled to receive a membership card at the beginning of each season. The card can be used to obtain discounts. Please check the latest discount offers. Cards and Codes can be obtained from the office or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.