Registration involves the following steps:
- Check Proficiency requirements
- Register your child and yourself
- Purchase relevant uniform/equipment
- Join both Manly LSC Nippers Facebook Page and the relevant Manly Nippers Age Group Facebook Page
- Join Team App
- Check Parental responsibilities
Age is determined as at 30 September each year
|Age Group||AGE AS AT 30 SEPTEMBER 2020|
|Under 6||5 Years|
|Under 7||6 Years|
|Under 8||7 Years|
|Under 9||8 Years|
|Under 10||9 Years|
|Under 11||10 Years|
|Under 12||11 Years|
|Under 13||12 Years|
|Under 14||13 Years|
Detailed Proficiency requirementsU8 nippers and above are required to complete an annual proficiency swim and float as part of their registration. This ensures a minimum and safe standard of swimming and survival ability for water activities.
|Pool Swim||Surf Swim|
|U6/7||No requirements||No Requirement|
|U8||25m Swim – freestyle (untimed)
1 minute survival float
|U9/10||200m Swim – freestyle, in less than 6 mins
1.5 minute survival float
|Minimum 150m open water swim|
|U11/12||200m Swim – freestyle, in less than 6 mins
2 minute survival float
|Minimum 288m open water swim|
|U13/14||200m Swim – freestyle, in less than 5 mins
3 minutes survival float
|Minimum 288m open water swim|
- For U8’s the proficiency swim is carried out in the first few weeks of Nippers normally at the Fairy Bower Ocean Pool between Manly and Shelly Beach
- The Pool Swim is conducted in a 50m pool, normally at Manly Andrew Boy Charlton Aquatic Centre.
- The Surf Swim is around a competition course in the ocean at Manly Beach swimming Freestyle and with their head in the water. This can only be completed once the pool swim has been passed.
- All participants, including beach competitors, must complete proficiency.
- Proficiency dates (normally 2) and locations will be posted in the season calendar ans will be posted on Facebook and Team App.
Second Child – $85.00
Third Child – $65.00
Fourth Child – Free
1 x Nipper Parent – $75.00
2 x Nipper Parent – $125.00
Training and Competition Levy (U9-U14)* – $100.00 each
*Payable for all Nippers who attend water and/or beach training sessions and intend to compete at carnivals. Refer to our web site for details and updates regarding training and carnivals.
One parent/guardian/carer from each family is required to join Manly LSC as Nipper Parent Members of as Active Members of MLSC (if suitably qualified) as assistance is required at Nippers. This membership will register you with SLSNSW and cover you for insurance purposes.
Click here for details of membership benefits.
There will be other opportunities to complete their proficiency in the first month of Nippers. Until then your child will be able to participate in beach activities only.
No. All children must participate in their correct age group.
|Age Group||Equipment Requirements|
|U6/7||Manly Nipper cap ( first name written on the side in bold)|
|U8||Manly Nipper cap & Pink high-vis vest|
|U9-10||Manly Nipper cap & Pink high-vis vest and Foam board|
|U11-13||Manly Nipper cap & Pink high-vis vest and Fibreglass board|
|U14||Manly Nipper cap & Pink high-vis vest and Mal board|
For further information about equipment click here
Uniform can be purchased on registration day or from the Manly uniform shop which is open during the week including each Sunday after Nippers. Click here for opening hours and online purchases.
Please note that Nippers are not permitted to wear jewellery or watches during training or competition.
If your child suffers from Asthma or any other medical condition please inform you child’s Age Manager and coach to the extent it may affect you child’s participation.
Parents/Carers must be with their child at all times. Your child remains YOUR responsibility. Medication, trips to the toilet and the individual welfare of each child on Manly Beach remains the responsibility of the parent/carer. Nippers is not a child minding program.
Nippers is run by parents. It is our experience that the more you get involved, the more your child will enjoy nippers, and the more rewarding it is for parents.
As a minimum your age group will be required to run the BBQ on two mornings during the season. Age managers will advise you of your responsibilities. Please assist your age group & work together to make the morning a success.
There are a lots of other volunteering opportunities and many do not require surf lifesaving experience. Click here to see how you can get involved.
Code of conduct – Parents, Caregivers & Spectators Code of Behaviour
Parents have an important role in the delivery and support of sporting activities for their own and other children at Nippers. With it comes a clear responsibility to act in a constructive and encouraging manner at all times. Parents are required to sign the Code of Conduct upon registration.
- Remember that children participate in sport for their enjoyment and development
- Encourage children to participate, do not force them
- Focus on the child’s efforts and performance rather than winning or losing. Set realistic goals.
- Encourage children to always play according to the rules and to settle disagreements without resorting to hostility or violence.
- Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- Remember children learn best by example.
- Appreciate good performances and skilful plays by all Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from sporting activities.
- Respect official’s decisions and teach children to do likewise.
- Show appreciation for coaches, age managers, officials, and administrators. Without them, your child could not participate.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of others.
- If you disagree with an official, coach, age manager, raise the issue through the appropriate channels rather than question the officials judgment and honesty in public. Remember that most officials, coaches, and age managers give their time and effort for your child’s involvement.
Code of Conduct – Nippers
- Compete within the rules, and within the spirit of Surf Lifesaving and Manly LSC.
- Never argue with an official. If you disagree have your Age Manager, coach or team
manager approach the official during a break or after the competition.
- Control your temper. Verbal abuse of officials and sledging of other competitors,
deliberately distracting or provoking an opponent are not acceptable or permitted
- Work equally hard for yourself and/or your team.
- Be a good sport. Applaud all good performances whether they are given by Manly LSC or other clubs.
- Treat all participants as you would like to be treated. Do not bully, interfere or take
unfair advantage of another competitor.
- Co-operate with your coach, age managers, teammates, officials and opponents. Without them there would be no competition.
- Participate for your own enjoyment and benefit, not just to please parents and coaches.
- Respect the equipment you use, wash it and return it after use. Report any damage.
- Respect the club house. Treat it as you would treat your home. Leave it tidy.
Any breach of these codes should immediately be reported to the JAC Chairman
For any further help in regards to nipper registration, please email our registrar Kate Martin